Along with the recent work on Radial Menu Prototyping, I started work on a long awaited feature: Canceling Actions. I know it sounds like a pretty basic, standard issue feature. And you’re right, it is. There’s just a lot more to it than you would think, hence the reason why it’s been on the back burner for so long. Fun fact, in every current build, if you moved a unit to a tile and attempted to attack another unit and were out of range, there was no way to cancel that action, and you had to restart the game. Finally, those days are over 🙂
The past few months have been very important for the backend foundation of this game. It’s been something that has to happen, but when it comes to showing it off to people, well, it’s not so easy. Well finally, I’m able to start working on things that I can actually show off to people, and damn, it feels good.
After a long month or so of development, I have put a nice bow on the latest changes, cut a release, and am now thinking about what’s next.
This release is quite the milestone, as it establishes the framework for external data loading at run time, which opens up the possibility of modding on a very basic level.
The additions are as follows:
- integration of JSON.net
- runtime data loading for the following:
- tile maps
- can now design maps via Tiled and import them using a new Tiled -> Eternal Engine class
- created playable builds of the game for the following platforms:
Last time I wrote a blog entry, I started it off with an apology of sorts, where I literally did no game development for a month due to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. That was a month ago. What’s my excuse this time?
State of the Union
Well, folks, that’s it. After what seemed to be the longest month of development so far, I have finally put the finishing touches on all the prototype work I’ve done on the Inventory system and all the other various systems that interact with it. I certainly did not expect to spend so much time on it, but I also did not anticipate adding feature after feature. Every time that I thought I was done, I always had an idea for something else to add in.
This might as well be called the month of “Inventory UI”. It’s been the only thing I’ve worked on thus far, and just when I think I’m done, I’m like, “Oh shit, I should probably support this minor feature as well”. Minor features are, well, minor, but a dozen of them = month of “Inventory UI” 🙂
I admit I got distracted more than I wanted to this week, however, when I was able to focus, I was able to get some solid progress done on the inventory UI.
A few days ago, I finished prototyping some inventory drag & drop functionality, which I discussed in February’s State of the Union. The next logical step was to begin working on unit equipment slots, and making sure the drag & drop stuff worked there as well.
Of course, I actually had to do some upfront UI work in order to display a unit’s equipment slots.