Rose Of Eternity

Daily Journal

Category: Development (page 1 of 3)

Deferring Abilities And More

I would say I had a pretty solid week with my ever continuing work on the ability system. One major thing was worked out, another minor, but glaring omission was also addressed.

Continue reading

Talent Implementation

There have been many “life things” happening over the past few weeks, but things have slowed down considerably, and I’m back on the wagon. Hopefully, this next run will be a fruitful one.

State of the Union

So as mentioned above, it’s been an eventful few weeks. We have an annual BBQ at our house where friends and family from all over the country come to attend, and this year, we doubled the number of people who came, from around 30 to 60+. As you can imagine, it’s a logistical (though well worth it) nightmare. After that BBQ, I needed a week to myself to just recover, and then shortly after that, my younger cousin, who is about to head off to college to play football stopped by for a few days, so there’s that.

But I’m back now.

The last things I was working on were all centered around my new ability system. Spells got the love the first go round, and now, Talents were up next. But, because I wanted to start with something a little smaller to ease my way back into things, I took a little crack at sound effects.

Continue reading

Spell Implementation Coming Along Nicely

So if “Abilities” are the parent, high level category, right below that would be “Talents” and “Spells”. I decided to start working with the latter, for no particular reason. It was really a coin flip. Lucky for me, things are coming along quite well so far.

Continue reading

Abilities: How In The Hell Should I Implement Them?

Over the past few days, I’ve spent some time laying the groundwork for ability implementation. This consisted of a few things:

  • dynamic loading of all abilities from an external JSON file
  • associating above loaded abilities to units (which are also loaded from an external JSON file)
  • tying in abilities to existing radial menu framework
  • getting some free, prototype icons

The question still remains: How am I going to implement this ability system?

Continue reading

Quality Of Live Improvements

Look at that! I’m almost on a semi-regular posting basis. I believe this makes 3 posts in 3 weeks. Baby steps, folks, baby steps.

State of the Union

Overall, it was a pretty good month for me. After so much back end work, it’s been nice to be on the polar opposite of things, doing all sorts of things with the UI. Some of it was cosmetic, some was functionality, but everything was in the “Quality Of Live Improvements” category. Here’s a quick run down on what I accomplished.

Continue reading

Implemented Some Rudimentary Cancel Action Functionality

Along with the recent work on Radial Menu Prototyping, I started work on a long awaited feature: Canceling Actions. I know it sounds like a pretty basic, standard issue feature. And you’re right, it is. There’s just a lot more to it than you would think, hence the reason why it’s been on the back burner for so long. Fun fact, in every current build, if you moved a unit to a tile and attempted to attack another unit and were out of range, there was no way to cancel that action, and you had to restart the game. Finally, those days are over 🙂

Continue reading

New Release: v0.5.0-alpha

After a long month or so of development, I have put a nice bow on the latest changes, cut a release, and am now thinking about what’s next.

This release is quite the milestone, as it establishes the framework for external data loading at run time, which opens up the possibility of modding on a very basic level.

The additions are as follows:

  • integration of JSON.net
  • runtime data loading for the following:
    • attributes
    • items
    • units
    • tile maps
  • can now design maps via Tiled and import them using a new Tiled -> Eternal Engine class
  • created playable builds of the game for the following platforms:
    • Windows
    • Mac
    • Linux

Continue reading

2 Hour Challenge: Unit Switching

This morning’s update almost never came to be.

For newcomers to this blog, I commute about 5 hours (round trip) door to door from my home town of Poughkeepsie, NY to downtown Manhattan, NYC, where my company’s office is. I’ve been doing this song and dance since 2004, it’s quite old, I hate it, I hate trains, I hate people, etc.

The one thing that keeps me going is the fact that I do get to get a fair amount of game development. That is, if I’m able to stay awake…

Continue reading

Item -> Equipment Slot Swapping. Also Added Attributes To UI Above Equipment.

This might as well be called the month of “Inventory UI”. It’s been the only thing I’ve worked on thus far, and just when I think I’m done, I’m like, “Oh shit, I should probably support this minor feature as well”. Minor features are, well, minor, but a dozen of them = month of “Inventory UI” 🙂

Continue reading

And Now For Something Totally New… More Inventory UI Stuff!

 My work with the Inventory System continues. On the one hand, just because of how I like to develop (i.e. bouncing from system to system), I’m a little drained with my work on this. On the other hand, however, an Inventory System is one of the key components to any RPG, and it has to be done right. Also, I have been able to knock out a lot of the core work of it. The way I have reconciled this in my mind is: The more I get done now, the less I’ll have to address later.

Continue reading

Older posts

© 2017 Rose Of Eternity

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑