Along with the recent work on Radial Menu Prototyping, I started work on a long awaited feature: Canceling Actions. I know it sounds like a pretty basic, standard issue feature. And you’re right, it is. There’s just a lot more to it than you would think, hence the reason why it’s been on the back burner for so long. Fun fact, in every current build, if you moved a unit to a tile and attempted to attack another unit and were out of range, there was no way to cancel that action, and you had to restart the game. Finally, those days are over 🙂
The past few months have been very important for the backend foundation of this game. It’s been something that has to happen, but when it comes to showing it off to people, well, it’s not so easy. Well finally, I’m able to start working on things that I can actually show off to people, and damn, it feels good.
After a long month or so of development, I have put a nice bow on the latest changes, cut a release, and am now thinking about what’s next.
This release is quite the milestone, as it establishes the framework for external data loading at run time, which opens up the possibility of modding on a very basic level.
The additions are as follows:
- integration of JSON.net
- runtime data loading for the following:
- tile maps
- can now design maps via Tiled and import them using a new Tiled -> Eternal Engine class
- created playable builds of the game for the following platforms:
Last time I wrote a blog entry, I started it off with an apology of sorts, where I literally did no game development for a month due to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. That was a month ago. What’s my excuse this time?
I suppose it would be disingenuous to start this post as if I didn’t fall off the face of the earth for the past month and a half or so. I only have one excuse:
State of the Union
Well, folks, that’s it. After what seemed to be the longest month of development so far, I have finally put the finishing touches on all the prototype work I’ve done on the Inventory system and all the other various systems that interact with it. I certainly did not expect to spend so much time on it, but I also did not anticipate adding feature after feature. Every time that I thought I was done, I always had an idea for something else to add in.
This morning’s update almost never came to be.
For newcomers to this blog, I commute about 5 hours (round trip) door to door from my home town of Poughkeepsie, NY to downtown Manhattan, NYC, where my company’s office is. I’ve been doing this song and dance since 2004, it’s quite old, I hate it, I hate trains, I hate people, etc.
The one thing that keeps me going is the fact that I do get to get a fair amount of game development. That is, if I’m able to stay awake…
This might as well be called the month of “Inventory UI”. It’s been the only thing I’ve worked on thus far, and just when I think I’m done, I’m like, “Oh shit, I should probably support this minor feature as well”. Minor features are, well, minor, but a dozen of them = month of “Inventory UI” 🙂
My work with the Inventory System continues. On the one hand, just because of how I like to develop (i.e. bouncing from system to system), I’m a little drained with my work on this. On the other hand, however, an Inventory System is one of the key components to any RPG, and it has to be done right. Also, I have been able to knock out a lot of the core work of it. The way I have reconciled this in my mind is: The more I get done now, the less I’ll have to address later.
I admit I got distracted more than I wanted to this week, however, when I was able to focus, I was able to get some solid progress done on the inventory UI.